Simple, hearty and Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder! The perfect soup to give you all the warm and cozy Fall feels!
This Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder is a healthy and budget friendly vegan meal! If you are new to vegan or vegetarian cooking, you’re in luck. This meal is super easy to put together, even for the novice cook!
Cashew cream is what makes the wonderful texture of this soup. Cashew cream is a simple mixture of soaked cashews and plant milk blended until velvety soft.
What you will need:
For this recipe you will need some very basic ingredients that you can find at any local grocery store, they are:
– Yellow Onion
– Vegetable broth
– Corn (fresh or frozen)
– Plant Milk
How to Make this Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder:
Making this corn chowder is easy. Start by chopping all the vegetables and sautéing them in a heavy bottom pot with a bit of oil. Next, we add the seasonings, broth, cashew cream and the corn. Once everything has softened it’s time to blend! This part is based on preference. If you want a super soft soup without any chunks then the entire soup can be blended, but it is equally delicious if you leave some veggie bits for extra texture! Finish it off by melting in some vegan cheddar cheese (optional).
If you have never made cashew cream, it is done by simply soaking cashews for a minimum of 4 hours and then blending in a high powdered blender with plant milk until smooth and creamy. If you do not have 4 hours to soak the cashews, they can also be softened by boiling for 5-10 minutes before blending.
If you are using corn fresh from the cobb, remove the kernels by gently running a knife down the length of the cobb. I find it easiest to place the cobb directly in a large bowl while doing this to avoid a big mess!
Finally, serve alongside a freshly toasted baguette or your favorite veggie sandwich!
Note: If you find your soup too thick and want to thin it out, add additional plant milk.
Storage: This soup stores well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an air-tight container. Re-heat on the stovetop or microwave.
– 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
– 1 small Yellow Onion (diced)
– 2 Medium Carrots (diced)
– 3-4 Garlic Cloves (diced)
– 3 Medium Yellow Potatoes (chopped)
– 5 Corn Cobbs or 2 cups frozen corn
– 3 cups Vegetable Broth
– 1 tsp Parsley Flakes
– ¼ tsp Paprika
– Salt and Pepper to taste
– ½ cup Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Cashew Cream Ingredients:
– 1 cup Soaked Cashews (minimum 4 hours)
– 1 cup Plant Milk
– Start by pre-soaking cashews for a minimum of 4 hours by placing them in a bowl and covering with room temperature water. Alternatively, you can boil the cashews for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain and rinse the cashews and add to a blender with the plant milk. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
– In a large heavy bottom pot, heat oil to medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the potatoes and spices. Stir and continue to cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
– Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and place on a tight-fitting lid. Continue to cook until the vegetables have softened.
– Stir in corn and cashew cream and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
– Using an immersion blender or standard blender, blend contents of the soup until the desired consistency is achieved.
– Return to the pot and add vegan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
– Serve immediately alongside a toasted baguette.
I hope you liked this Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder as much as we do! For more recipes by
Stunningly Plant-Based you can visit https://www.instagram.com/stunningly_plant_based/ or http://www.stunninglyplantbased.com