This is a great recipe for fall. Not only is the soup warming and delicious, but it’s also simple – you can throw everything into one pot. The recipe also works really well with squash (I recommend butternut). Feel free to play around with the spices.
Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot and Coconut Soup
Vegan | Gluten-free | Soy-free
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or other oil)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring once or twice to prevent burning. Add the garlic and ginger and continue cooking until the onion is translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth, sweet potatoes and carrots. Cook on medium heat until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, crushed tomatoes or tomato paste and spices (adjusting to taste).
- Stir and reduce heat. Simmer on low for about 10 mins.
- Turn the stove off and let the soup cool for at least half an hour. Purée in batches in a blender until smooth (if soup is too thick to blend easily, add a bit of extra broth or water).
- Serve warm with bread or crackers and a side salad.