As you probably know, Ottawa’s municipal election is on Monday, October 27.
An NCVA member and volunteer had the brilliant idea of contacting candidates in the Ottawa municipal election to see where they stand on a variety of animal issues. We’ll be posting their responses over the next few days.
Apologies that this series of posts will be in English only – we won’t have time to translate all of the candidates’ responses.
Here are the questions – we’ll post responses as they come in:
1. Will you commit to publishing the position statement of the Canadian Dietetic Association that acknowledges that well-planned vegan diets are healthy for all life-stages, to correct misinformation among the public. If so, how would this be done?
2. Will you support a meatless Monday campaign in City of Ottawa cafeterias and catered affairs, encourage school boards & post secondary institutions to follow your example, as well as the Municipality of Gatineau, engaging staff from the department of Public Health in the outreach? Note that agriculture is a larger contributed to climate change than all forms of transportation combined.
3. Will you support a bylaw banning circuses and other entertainment acts that use animals for entertainment in Ottawa?
4. Will you support wildlife rehabilitation organizations? How so?
5. Will the City of Ottawa publish its policy or develop a bylaw on the treatment of dangerous wildlife within the City?