1. Will you commit to publishing the position statement of the Canadian Dietetic Association that acknowledges that well-planned vegan diets are healthy for all life-stages, to correct misinformation among the public. If so, how would this been done (tax or water bill insert, bus board signage, proclaiming a vegan day, other?).
I was unable to find a specific position statement from the Canadian Dietetic Association on following a vegan diet, but it’s clear from the information presented on their website that well-planned vegan diets are responsible and have many potential health benefits.
In regards to combating misinformation on vegan diets, the use of city resources is not something I can commit to, though I’d be happy to support any initiative spearheaded by the National Capital Vegetarian Association.
2. Will you support a meatless Monday campaign in City of Ottawa cafeterias and
catered affairs, encourage school boards & post secondary institutions to follow
your example, as well as the Municipality of Gatineau, engaging staff from the
department of Public Health in the outreach? Note that agriculture is a larger
contributed to climate change than all forms of transportation combined.
I’d support a move, such as Meatless Monday, to bring awareness to the environmental impact of our eating habits.
Fair Trade Ottawa is a great example of an organization that worked hard to build a relationship with City Hall, and its service providers, in order to establish a Fair Trade culture at the City of Ottawa.
3. Will you support a bylaw banning circuses and other entertainment acts that use
animals for entertainment in Ottawa?
I’d need more information before I could support such a measure, including whether such a bylaw would be possible given the City’s legislative powers. I look forward to learning more.
4. Will you support wildlife rehabilitation organizations? How so (financially and/or
with other in-kind supports – please describe in detail)?
I would be happy to meet with wildlife rehabilitation organizations to learn more.
5. Will the City of Ottawa publish its policy (and or City of Ottawa Police policy) or
develop a bylaw on the treatment of dangerous wildlife within the City (coyotes,
deer, moose, etc.)?
The City’s wildlife strategy was approved by City Council last year. It can be found here:
Specific policies regarding large wildlife response can be found here: